Sunday, May 15, 2011

How to make an apron out of a dress

Since I am a semi-DIY'er, I thought about making an apron out of a dress. Here are the steps, it's very easy.
1. This is the dress, it is actually a girl's dress that I thrifted for just a dollar. You will need a dress that is smaller than a dress that you actually wear unless you want a long apron.
 2. Cut it on the sides leaving the hem on the side that you will use for apron (front) to avoid frilling.
 3. This is how it will look like after cutting.

4. Cut four strips of ribbons, two of the same length. Two of the strips will be longer than the other two. You can also use a scrap fabric or elastic bands.


5. Use a lighter to run through the ends to avoid frilling. Do this for all the ribbons.

6. Sew the ribbons to the remainder of the dress. One for each shoulder (smaller ribbons) and one for each waist (longer ribbons).
7. Optional -- You can add rosettes or other embelishments of your choice.

Tada! my apron is done. I also made one for RC.



Just to show, my ribbon is from Goodwill for $0.99. This project cost me $2.00 and my own labor.



Please ignore the wet t-shirt.  My hair was still wet here so I got the back of my shirt wet too.

I hope you like this tutorial. Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

Jag said...

I think it's cute! Very creative!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin